What's New in the Code of Ethics for 2018?
Through the use of new technologies in the photo industry, REALTORS® can become creative with the way photos and images are displayed on websites. Article 12 of the Code of Ethics, that requires TRUTH in advertising and representations, has been expanded to make the display of misleading IMAGES on the internet a violation. An example is manipulated photos that barely resemble the actual property.
A REALTORS’® obligation to present a true picture in their advertising and representations to the public includes internet content, images, and the URLs and domain names they use, and prohibits REALTORS® from:
- Engaging in deceptive framing of real estate brokerage websites;
- Manipulating content in a way that produces deceptive or misleading results
- Deceptively using metatags, keywords or other devices to direct or divert internet traffic;
- Presenting content developed by others without permission;
- Otherwise misleading consumers, including the use of misleading images.