First, let’s break it down to see exactly what you are paying:
National Association of REALTORS® - $185
Mississippi Association of REALTORS® - $173.50
Central Mississippi REALTORS® - $169.50
- You get to call yourself a REALTOR®. REALTOR® is a trademark term known to and trusted by consumers, who want to do business with a professional.
- You get the resources of three organizations (CMR, MAR, and NAR) that provide high-quality, reasonably-priced real estate education, opportunities to network with your peers and affiliates, and information on real estate trends and issues.
- You get the opportunity to be involved in servant leadership and participate in a trade organization that wants you to succeed.
- You get the lobbying efforts of three organizations that research legislative issues that affect the real estate business, customers, clients, and private property owners. The organizations fight for the issues that help our industry and oppose the issues that don’t.
- You get the opportunity to help police our own by using the enforcement arm of the REALTOR® Code of Ethics.
- You get the opportunity to arbitrate commission disputes rather than pursuing costly litigation.
- You get to benefit from the years of experience of groups of REALTORS® and affiliates who create benefits such as CMR’s Best Practices.
- You get to benefit from networking opportunities with our affiliate members who you need to complete a successful transaction.
- You get to benefit from discounts on products and services the state and national association can negotiate on your behalf because of our size – over 1 million REALTORS® nationwide.
- The optional Fair Share investment in RPAC goes to vetted candidates whose voting track record demonstrates that they vote for real estate-friendly legislation or oppose legislation harmful to our business.
Is any of that worth what you pay?
When asked what he gets for his dues dollars, President-Elect Gary Parker, replied:
As a REALTOR®, I am governed by an organization that has the highest standards of any trade organization in the USA. We, as REALTORS®, not only have these benefits to help us with our business, but it also gives us the integrity to deal with the largest investment most people will make in their lifetime. This business is not about the bricks and mortar or the money that so many people run after, it's about the people and the relationships that are formed. Being a REALTOR® is in your heart and goes with you wherever you go. It makes you proclaim yourself as a REALTOR® and to stand tall when you say it. I personally despise being called a salesman because as REALTORS®, that's just not who we are. It's our organization, it's our peers, it's all the things that the REALTOR® organization promotes, teaches and fights for. Not only for our members but for the private property rights of every individual that lives in this country. Are our dues worth it? As it’s been said, and I'll say it again "YOU DAMN SKIPPY!"