Central Mississippi REALTORS
620 N. State Street Suite 100
Jackson, MS 39202
For Immediate Release:
January 15, 2018
A Career in Real Estate Continues to Rise: 2017 Profile of REALTOR® Demographics
The results are in! A career in real estate is on the rise according to results of the 2017 Profile of REALTORS® published by the National Association of REALTORS®. The report shows that there was a continuous rise in new members, from 1.16 million Realtors® last year. Members with less than one year of experience made up 20 percent of membership, an almost 10-percent point increase from 2015. This year’s survey found that 28 percent have less than two years of experience, an increase from 17 percent in 2015. Only 30 percent of members are over 60 years old, and 4 percent are less than 30 years old, which is consistent with last year. Twelve percent of members who have two years or less of experience are under 30 years of age.
“It has become evident over the last few years that individuals are realizing the many benefits and business opportunities that working in real estate provides. The increase in business Realtors® are experiencing reflects the continued value they bring to their clients and communities across the country,” said NAR President William E. Brown.
View highlights of the 2017 Profile of REALTORS® below:
- 65% percent of REALTORS® are licensed as sales agents, 22% hold broker licenses, and 15% hold broker associate licenses.
- The typical REALTOR® is a 53-year old white female who attended college and is a homeowner.
- 63% of all REALTORS® are female, and the median age of all REALTORS® is 53.
- Real estate experience of all REALTORS® (median): 10 years
- Median tenure at present firm (all REALTORS®): 4 years
- Most REALTORS® worked 40 hours per week in 2016.
- The median gross income of REALTORS® was $42,500 in 2016, an increase from $39,200 in 2015.
- Formal education of REALTORS®:
- Some college: 31%
- Bachelor's degree: 31%
- Graduate degree and above: 13%
- Associate degree: 12%
- Some graduate school: 6%
- High school graduate: 7%
- REALTOR® affiliation with firms:
- Independent contractor: 86%
- Employee: 5%
- Other: 9%
Source: 2017 National Association of REALTORS® Member Profile